Friday, July 6, 2018

Ombre Watercolor Backgrounds (MIM #327)...


Betsy Veldman is our host for this week's challenge, Make It Monday #327: Ombre Watercolor Backgrounds, where she shows us how to make "easy" watercolored backgrounds with ink. Hmmm. Betsy does make it look very easy, but I struggled a little with this challenge, I think maybe because of the watercolor paper. I tried Hobby Lobby, Tim Holtz and Bristol paper and actually had the best luck with the Hobby Lobby paper. I wonder, does the DT ever have to redo their projects or do they hit it out of the ballpark on their first try?😳

I selected Tropical Teal, Hawaiian Shores and Aqua Mist inks for my background colors, rubbing them on the watercolor paper, dark to lightest colors. I used a brush and water to create downward strokes to blend the inks. Next, I used the leaves from the Harvest Berries stamp set and stamped them along the edges, again, darkest to lightest colors. I added additional leaves in lighter colors to for depth. The panel is adhered to a white cardstock card base. 

The sentiment, from Painted Petals is stamped in black ink. I decided to add some berries and stamped them in each of the three blue colors. This was fun to do and I'll definitely try it again!

Card Details:
  • Stamps:  PTI Harvest Berries, Painted Petals
  • Paper:  PTI White Stampers Select; Master's Touch Watercolor
  • Ink:  PTI Tropical Teal, Hawaiian Shores, Aqua Mist; Memento Tuxedo Black
  • Other:  Brush; Water
  • Size:  4.25" x 5.5"

6 comments:

  1. very pretty. perfect for a sympathy card.. I'm going to have to make one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful sympathy card, Lainey! The pretty teal ombre background is just perfect for the Harvest Berries stamps and Painted Petals sentiment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfection Lainey!! Those colors are so pretty and just perfect for a sympathy card, as is using the Harvest Berries set! LOVE everything about this GORGEOUS card!! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty Lainey. Love Harvest Berries. Great choice! Very well done

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lainey, I just love this card and what a gorgeous sympathy card. Can’t wait to CASE this one as you know how I need sympathy cards. Harvest Berries is one of my all-time favorites so not sure why I didn’t think of those. Also need to get me some Hobby Lobby watercolor paper to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a beautiful card! I love how smooth the ombre effect is.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment!