My friend has participated in Operation Christmas Child for a few years and told me how much fun it is to fill a shoebox with toys and everyday necessities for a child. Then I saw on Betsy Veldman's blog that she was donating the commission she makes on a particular stamp and die set to this organization. I felt it was something I also wanted to do.
Originally I was going to just fill one shoebox and then decided to do one for each boy and girl, ages 2-4, 5-9 and 10-14 for a total of 6 boxes. I had a lot of fun buying things to put in the boxes! We are so fortunate and take so many things for granted, like a simple toothbrush. On the OCC website, I read a story about one little girl who was so thrilled to receive her box containing her own toothbrush after sharing a toothbrush with 25 other girls! Yuck, I can't even imagine that!
All of the my boxes contain toothpaste, toothbrushes, soap and washcloth, band-aids, lip balm, tissues, combs, socks and a Beanie Babie. Depending on the age and gender, I also included crayons, pens, pencils, notepads, glue sticks, safety scissors, hair clips, elastic hair bands and toys (yo-yo, harmonica, jump rope, Matchbox cars, puzzles, watercolor set, foam ball, marbles, etc.). Each box has about 25 or more items in it.
This is for a little girl, age 2-4:
And a boy, age 5-9:
If you donate $7 with the box, OCC provides you with a tracking number and will notify you with information about the country where your box will be delivered. I'm looking forward to seeing the journey the boxes take! November 14-21 is the collection week so I'll be dropping them off on Monday at a local church.



No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment!