Lexi shows us how to use money on cards and other things in this week's Make It Monday #249: Make It With Money. It's always fun to give money in a different way than just handing over cash or a check. I had a few ideas in mind when I started my card and decided to go with origami after I found an easy video (Origami Star Tutorial) on how to make a star. This wasn't too hard to make, especially after seeing other more complicated designs.
The star is made with five one dollar bills, folding five star points and connecting them together. But, a word of caution - working with money is dirty, and my fingers were almost black from folding the bills. Yuck - maybe next time I should wear gloves!
On white cardstock, I stamped the Star Scribbles in Versamark ink, sprinkled them with gold embossing powder and heat set them. I placed the panel on a Royal Velvet cardstock card base - purple and gold are always a good combination! I die-cut a circle in white cardstock, stamped the sentiment and also embossed it in gold. It looked plain sitting on the star so I added the scalloped circle behind it.
Because this star is large (4.25") and so dimensional, I plan to put it in a PTI clear box (the one the stamps come in) so the card is an odd size.
Card Details:
- Stamps: PTI Star Scribbles, Sketched Shapes
- Paper: PTI Royal Velvet, White Stampers Select
- Ink: Versamark
- Dies: PTI Sketched Shapes; Scalloped Circle Nestabilities
- Other: Zing Embossing Powder; Dollar Bills
- Size: 4.75" x 6.5"


Oh Lainey, I have to look this one up. Love the symmetry of the star pattern, and your card showcases your work perfectly! TFS.
ReplyDeleteWOW I hadn't see this one before.. the star is great. Thanks for the tutorial for making it. Great card.
ReplyDeleteDear me, Lainey, your card is AMAZING! So original and the perfect showcase for this MIM technique! I love everything about this card ... the gold embossed Star Scribbles, the lovely scalloped circle sentiment tag! Fantastic job!
ReplyDeletegreat card - it showcases the big star perfectly!! thanks so much for playing make it monday!
ReplyDeleteNicely done! I love all of the gold accents!
ReplyDeleteYeah - now I know how I will be making my son's money lei next year for his graduation! This star is perfect and a little more neutral than the butterflies that were on my daughter's leis. It looks perfect on your card with the gold embossed background, Lainey!
ReplyDeleteWow, this is perfectly folded and perfectly made!! So classy, Lainey!
ReplyDeleteThis is a new fold for me....thank you! You card is perfect for the origami piece, too.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful!! I love the star!! so many wonderful opportunities to use this one.
ReplyDeletePatti
This is a true work of money art Lainey...love it!! I remember seeing this one when I was looking up money folding, but figured it would be too hard...so glad you did it, as it looks just fabulous on your card! Great job!! :0)
ReplyDeleteYour origami star front and center is beautiful with the gold Star Scribbles. Love your card, Lainey!
ReplyDeleteThis is awesome! Thanks for linking the tutorial - have to check it out!
ReplyDelete