Melissa is the host for this week's Make It Monday #247: Watercolored Card Sets. She shows us how to sponge ink on a design and apply water to give it a watercolor effect. I originally made one card for this but then saw Nichole mentions to make a watercolor card set. So it was back to the drawing board for me.
I pulled out my Year Of Flowers: Violets stamp set again for this challenge. On watercolor paper, I stamped two overlapping violets and leaves created with masking. I started to rub the ink on the violets but wasn't having much luck getting good blending coverage and ended up applying the ink with a waterbrush.
The violets were done in two ink shades: Lemon Tart/Orange Zest, Aqua Mist/Hawaiian Shores and Berry Sorbet/Pure Poppy with the flower centers in Harvest Gold. The leaves were done in Spring Moss and Simply Chartreuse inks. I rubbed a little bit of ink with a dauber around the images which helped soften them up a bit.
I did a little splattering with Spring Moss ink and added a strip of striped paper at the top. I stamped the sentiment and adhered the panels to a coordinating cardstock card base. I wasn't too happy with the way these looked until I put them all together. Now they look "okay" to me and look much better in person than in the photos.
Card Details:
- Stamps: PTI Year Of Flowers: Violets, Think Big Favorites #3 & #5, Birthday Bash Sentiments
- Paper: PTI Lemon Tart, Aqua Mist, Berry Sorbet, Orange Zest Stripes, Hawaiian Shores Stripes, Spring Moss Stripes; Tim Holtz Watercolor
- Ink: PTI Lemon Tart, Orange Zest, Harvest Gold, Aqua Mist, Hawaiian Shores, Berry Sorbet, Pure Poppy, Spring Moss; Versafine Onyx Black
- Other: Waterbrush
- Size: 4.25" x 5.5"





I knew you'd knock this challenge out of the park! Fabulous floral card set that anybody would love to receive!
ReplyDeleteOh boy these are so beautiful! Lovely color!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful set of cards! Lovely coloring!
ReplyDeleteOh Lainey...I think these turned out absolutely beautiful! I love the colors you used, and your water coloring effect turned out so pretty! Really like the striped paper at the top too! Lovely, lovely set of cards!! :0)
ReplyDeleteI love these! I haven't visited this set in a long time. Very pretty coloring!
ReplyDeleteHi Lainey : ) Thanks a bunch for your comment on my blog yesterday! I will definitely be shopping for some new ink! : )
ReplyDeleteI appreciate you taking the time to share your experience!!
Patti
Love this beautiful card set Lainey! Gorgeous colours and beautiful inking.
ReplyDeleteGorgeous cards!! Love the watercolors and matching papers! Fantastic!!
ReplyDeleteWhat a pretty set of cards, Lainey! You did beautiful colouring! Thank you very much for your comment to my entry. We just made a different style cards, mine is less accurate, splatters everywhere, I love off the edge stamping, specially with big stamps. Your cards are so neat and pretty! - Sweet Kobylkin
ReplyDeleteYou did an amazing job, Lainey and your colouring is beautiful! Plus you masked, eek! :)
ReplyDeleteLove the bold and beautiful colors, Lainey! Lovely set!
ReplyDeleteLovely cards, Lainey, with your colorful violets, masking, watercoloring, splattering and striped edging.
ReplyDelete