Thursday, July 20, 2017

Emboss Resist Shadow Sentiments (MIM #291)...


Ashley Cannon Newell shows us an interesting technique and one I haven't seen before in this week's video - Make It Monday #291: Emboss Resist Shadow Sentiments. This technique will work well on large sentiments. I'm using Humming Along again, I just love the flowers and birds in this set!

On white cardstock, I stamped the flowers in Pure Poppy, Hibiscus Burst and Scarlet Jewel inks. The leaves are stamped in Green Parakeet and New Leaf inks. The humming bird body and wings are  stamped with Hawaiian Shores and Tropical Teal inks. I added the light pink using a Copic marker, I just couldn't get that little area to stamp correctly! I added Pure Poppy ink on top of the pink and black for the beak and eyes. The stamped bird is on top of 3 die-cuts stacked and glued together.

Smile is stamped in Hibiscus Burst ink and then re-stamped in Versamark ink (thank goodness for the MISTI!). I re-stamped it again in Versamark, this time placing the Smile stamp so it was slightly offset from the original stamping. I sprinkled it with clear embossing powder and heat set it. Next, I used a make-up brush and applied Aqua Mist and Hawaiian Shores inks to make the shadow stand out. I added more brushed ink to help fill in the background.

"It's your birthday" is stamped in black ink. I added a little strip of Tropical Teal stripes to help bring out the colors in the bird. 

Card Details:
  • Stamps:  PTI Humming Along, Ways To Say: Birthday, Wet Paint III
  • Paper:  PTI White Stampers Select, Tropical Teal Stripes
  • Ink:  PTI Pure Poppy, Hibiscus Burst, Scarlet Jewel, Green Parakeet, New Leaf, Aqua Mist, Hawaiian Shores, Tropical Teal; Memento Tuxedo Black; Versamark
  • Copics:  RV10
  • Dies:  PTI Humming Along
  • Tools:  Heat Tool
  • Other:  Zing Embossing Powder
  • Size:  4.25" x 5.5"

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful card, Lainey! And great tip on how you added the pink accent to the lovely bird image.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh what a beauty! Finally finished mine & need to get it posted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sweet of you to let me know of my win--great way to start my day! I know it's especially disappointing to be so close to the winner, but hopefully Mr Random finds you soon!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful! Love the choice of sentiments with your gorgeous flowers and hummingbird!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lainey, this is beautiful! Love your flowers and that awesome hummingbird.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Lainey, I need to Pin this one! Love every single detail including your sentiment, stripes and ink blending. The fuschia and hummingbird look so realistic.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment!