Saturday, August 26, 2017

SAF 2017: 3rd Anniversary Tradition - Leather...


Day 2

8:00 AM Challenge:  "Create a project featuring faux leather."

Well, here I was again, trying to think outside the box because I don't have glycerin to use for this project. So I googled "how to make faux leather" and found a video where you rub coordinating ink on cardstock to give you a faux leather look. Thankfully, the challenge doesn't say we have to do it the way it was presented.

I started with a piece of Kraft cardstock and with my stamp pad, rubbed Kraft ink all over it. It does kind of look like leather, not as much as Ashley's version, but it'll do! Next, I stamped the sentiment in Dark Chocolate ink, several times using the Misti to make sure it was nice and dark. It even looks a little bit the way you see writing on leather, where it's not 100% solid.

I used a stitched rectangle die like Ashley did to give it a more authentic look. I placed the panel on fun foam and layered it on a piece of Enchanted Evening cardstock and adhered it to a Kraft cardstock card base.

Since it's a masculine card, I added jute around the spine. A few stitched stars in Enchanted Evening and Spring Rain cardstock finished things off. Must get some glycerin the next time I'm at the drug store and try doing this again.

Card Details:
  • Stamps:  PTI Offbeat Birthday
  • Paper:  PTI Kraft, Enchanted Evening, Spring Rain
  • Ink:  PTI Dark Chocolate
  • Dies:  Lil Inker Designs Stitched Mats: Rectangles, Stitched Stars
  • Other:  Fun Foam; Jute
  • Size:  4.25" x 5.5"

3 comments:

  1. You achieved a fabulous looking texture with this technique, Lainey - from where I'm viewing your lovely card, it sure looks like leather to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool design! Thanks for joining us for SAF!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun card. Your 'leather' panel has a great textured look. Good job on making this work, Lainey :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment!