Saturday, July 23, 2016

Stamp-A-Faire: Starry Night...


This is the challenge I was looking forward to the most - "create a starry night sky background". Amy Sheffer makes it look so easy to create a night sky, but as usual for me, things are not as simple as they appear. It took me several tries to create a sky that I thought looked decent. I think the answer is practice and once SAF is over, I'll take another stab at this. I did find using the smoother side of the paper was better than the rougher side.

On watercolor paper using a blending tool, I rubbed on Enchanted Evening, Blueberry Sky, Pale Peony, Aqua Mist, Winter Wisteria and Mint Julep inks (same colors as Amy). Next, I spritzed it with water and added additional colors with ink and water (at this point it didn't look so great). After I dried it with my heat tool, I flicked white paint splatters on it with a small brush.

The headstones are die-cut in Soft Stone cardstock and stamped with coordinating ink. I stamped the sentiments in black ink. The ground is die-cut in True Black cardstock with the headstones adhered on foam tape for dimension. Happy Halloween is stamped in black ink on a strip of Soft Stone cardstock and placed on fun foam.

The panel is on a white cardstock card base. I added a few silver stars and the bats to finish the card. Once it was completely done I was much happier with the way it looked! This dark and creepy looking sky is perfect for a Halloween card!

Card Details:
  • Stamps:  PTI Haunted Headstones, Keep It Simple: Halloween
  • Paper:  PTI White Stampers Select, Soft Stone, True Black; Tim Holtz Watercolor
  • Ink:  PTI Enchanted Evening, Blueberry Sky, Pale Peony, Aqua Mist, Mint Julep, Winter Wisteria; Versafine Onyx Black
  • Dies:  PTI Haunted Headstones, In The Meadow
  • Other:  Fun Foam; Foam Tape; Star Sequins; White Paint
  • Size:  4.25" x 5.5"

5 comments:

  1. How perfect is this technique for Halloween - I love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. very clever. I love Halloween cards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Lainey, you definitely nailed this technique beautifully! Halloween and a night sky - a match made in (ink) heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that you used this technique for a spooky Halloween sky! Wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heeheehee. Love how your mind worked on this one, Lainey, too cute!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment!