Over on the PTI Forum, Dawn McVey issued a challenge asking people to use a stamp set they never used before. It was a tough choice for me because I have so many that I haven't used yet! I picked this one...I remember I just had to have this set, but I have no idea why it took me so long to use it!
I pulled out my Cover Plate Stripes Horizontal and die-cut it three times - once in white cardstock, once in Hawaiian Shores cardstock and once in Soft Stone cardstock. I used white for the outer portion and alternated the stripes in the colors.
The car is die-cut in white and also in Hawaiian Shores stripes. I fussy cut the striped paper and placed it on the white die-cut, stamping it with the image of the car. I used light grey Copics for the bumper, mirrors and window. I die-cut little circles for the headlights in Soft Stone cardstock and placed Glossy Accents on top to make them shiny. I wasn't sure what to put on the license plate on the front and decided to stamp "celebrate". The car is on thin foam tape for dimension.
The balloons were die-cut with a punch. I was originally going to use twine for the strings but it was too thick and then I remembered I had bobbins of wire I bought years ago. Perfect for this! I stamped the sentiment in Smokey Shadow ink and placed it on foam tape for added dimension. To complete the card I added a few clear sequins.
It was fun making this card and I'm glad I finally used this set! Thanks Dawn!
Card Details:
- Stamps: PTI Enjoy The Ride, Stylish Sentiments: Birthday, Mixed Messages
- Paper: PTI White Stampers Select, Soft Stone, Hawaiian Shores, Hawaiian Shores Stripes
- Ink: PTI Smokey Shadow; Memento Tuxedo Black
- Copics: W00, W1, W3
- Dies: PTI Cover Plate Stripes Horizontal, Enjoy The Ride
- Tools: Stampin' Up Two Step Owl Punch; EK Success Balloon Punch
- Other: Wire; Foam Tape; Pretty Pink Posh Sequins; Glossy Accents
- Card Size: 4.25" x 5.5"

Love this!
ReplyDeleteSo now I am wishing that I hadn't sold my sets. This is just so great and gender neutral.
ReplyDeleteJust wished that the little car looked more like my Miata, though ;)
Very nicely thought out and executed!
Little Mabel from PTI
Such a fun card! Love how you used the wire for the balloon strings! And the stripes-on-white car is amazing.
ReplyDeleteLOVE this!!! I love the stripey Bug and the stripes in the background. My 12 y/o DD just walked up and said, "Oh my gosh, I love that! I love that background!" (looks like you just sold a Stripes coverplate! LOL)
ReplyDeleteOh gosh, that's so cute!
ReplyDeleteThis turned out really cute, Lainey! Great job paper piecing. I never think to incorporate that in my stamping. Maybe I need to revisit my stamps to see if I have any that would work. : )
ReplyDeleteWell, now I want a striped car! lol Really nicely done. I love all the stripes!
ReplyDelete