Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Happy Birthday (MIM #218)

This week's Make It Monday #218 - Watercolors With Die-Cut Stencils really looked like it would be fun to do and provides another use for our dies! And watercoloring too - count me in!

I decided to use my Cover Plate: Twist and die-cut it in white cardstock. I adhered the die-cut to a piece of watercolor paper by using my Xyron and repositionable adhesive. Confession #1 - this adhesive had a date of May 2007 on the box...lol...that's when I bought it (luckily it still works)!

I wanted this card to be very summery looking and selected bright, summer-like colors. I tapped the inks on my craft mat and spritzed them with a little water. Using a brush, I colored in the openings of the Cover Plate. Halfway through, I realized I needed another color for the diamond openings and picked pink. Confession #2 - these colors are really out of my comfort zone because they are bright!

The sentiment is stamped in black ink on a strip of Simply Chartreuse cardstock, backed with foam tape. I added clear sequins to finish it off. Confession #3 - when I finished the watercoloring I didn't like  the look of this and was going to toss it.  But once it dried and I finished it, I thought it did look summery and not so bad after all. So it's a keeper.

Card Details:
  • Stamps:  PTI Keep It Simple: Birthday
  • Paper:  PTI White Stampers Select, Simply Chartreuse; Tim Holtz Watercolor
  • Ink:  PTI Hawaiian Shores, Summer Sunrise, Harvest Gold; Memento Pear Tart, Rosebud, Tuxedo Black
  • Dies:  PTI Cover Plate: Twist
  • Other:  Sequins; Foam Tape
  • Size: 4.25" x 5.5"  

5 comments:

  1. Lainey, love this die all painted up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it came out great!! i love your confessions, lol! i forgot about checking my xyron stash since i had the spray adhesive closer to my desk - i may have a similarly dated old roll around here, too!! thanks for playing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful colors and watercoloring effect! Lovely card!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous watercolored background! I love the colors!! How clever of you to use your xyron... so glad it worked for you!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment!