This week it's Betsy Veldman who shows us how to make trees using a fan brush in this video ↪ Make It Monday #306: Easy Fan Brush Trees. Well, what's easy for one person (with talent!) is not necessarily easy for another person (without talent!) 😃 Betsy sure made it look simple to make these trees, but when I tried it, it didn't go so well. I used quite a few pieces of watercolor paper before I sort of got the hang of it. I also think having a good fan brush helps; the fan brush I used must have been from a cheap pack of brushes because it didn't really hold it's shape very well.
Anyway...for my card I started with a piece of watercolor paper and applied Spring Moss, Simply Chartreuse and a touch of Ripe Avocado inks to create the trees. After it was dry, using a make-up brush, I brushed on Spring Rain and Blueberry Sky inks for the sky.
It's a little hard to see in the picture, but I flicked on a bunch of white paint to create a snowy scene. The horse and sleigh are die-cut in Enchanted Evening cardstock and on foam tape for dimension. I stamped the sentiment on a separate piece of watercolor paper, attached it to the panel and adhered it to a white cardstock card base.
Card Details:
- Stamps: PTI In The Meadow
- Paper: PTI Enchanted Evening; 140# Watercolor
- Ink: PTI Spring Moss, Simply Chartreuse, Ripe Avocado, Enchanted Evening, Spring Rain, Blueberry Sky.
- Dies: PTI In The Meadow
- Other: Fan Brush; Foam Tape; White Paint
- Size: 4.25" x 5.5"


I think you did a great job! They definitely look like pine trees.
ReplyDeleteI think you did an amazing job with this technique - your wintery scene is perfect!
ReplyDeleteYou're too hard on yourself Lainey...your trees look FABULOUS!! I admit I struggled with this technique too and used a few pieces of water color cardstock before I got something I liked! But it was fun to try something new and I love how you made your trees the background and focused on the horse and sleigh...lovely, lovely card!! :0)
ReplyDeleteI love your wintery scene card, Lainey! Marcia is right about how we are always our worst critic. Having the right “tools” definitely makes life easier...my fan brush is a tad big but you use what you have.
ReplyDeleteIt would appear that I was not the only one who found this a true challenge in every sense of the word. I think you did a wonderful job. Love the horse and sheigh...they are among my favourite sets. Cheers.
ReplyDeleteSo very pretty Lainey! Your fan brush trees look outstanding! Great take on the challenge!
ReplyDeleteYour trees are beautiful, Lainey. Love the sweet winter wonderland scene!
ReplyDeleteThe trees look awesome on your fabulous card
ReplyDeleteLovely trees and a wonderful scene!
ReplyDeleteYour trees look wonderful! My brush didn't hold the shape well, either. Would get a new one, but really think I'll be using my tree stamps--haha!
ReplyDeleteOh, love the trees with this sleigh riders die cut! A beautiful snowy scene with the perfect sentiment to match!
ReplyDeleteGreat job! I love the touch of the sleigh.
ReplyDeleteYour trees came out lovely and the scene with the sleigh is just perfect! It took me a few tries to get some trees that I liked too. I guess that's the beauty of "homemade". You did a wonderful job!
ReplyDelete